Sucker (suck-er) nounDictionary's definition: A person or thing that sucks
Hall's definition: A pacifier, something t0 go in a child's mouth, or Steven's FAVORITE thing
Short Version:
The first picture represents before, and the second after. Get the picture?
Long Version:
For those of you who see us often enough, you know that Steven's sucker is his 1 transitional item. It is the answer to all his problems, the comfort when Mom and Dad are gone, and the bringer of sleep. I am definitely glad he took a pacifier since not all kids do, and we will always give them to our babies, but we now know to not let it become sooooo important. Case in point: The other day Steven threw his sucker in the car. When he asked for it back, I asked him if he was sorry he threw it. (I meant sorry to me.) He picked it up and said, while softly petting it, "Sorry, Sucker. Sorry." Yeah, cute, but it scared me even more about what would happen when the time came to get rid of the thing. Yesterday morning was horrible. Steven started out so happy, but as the day wore on he kept throwing tantrum after tantrum because he wanted his sucker, but our rule is that it stays in his bed and is only for sleeping (also church and long car rides). When I put the poor, tired kid down for his nap he threw the sucker, then started screaming for it (this has happened before). I was so fed up that I took a pin and poked a hole in it, then tossed it back into his bed. I don't know if he even noticed the hole--I doubt it. He threw it again and I just let him cry. He was asleep in 45 minutes, and then I had Adam take away the sucker. The first thing Steven said when he woke up was "I want Sucker" over and over. We have told him that the sucker went bye-bye and is all gone. Last night he cried for just over 20 minutes when going to bed. Today he didn't ask for it until he was going down for his nap. He knows it's gone for good, and I am so glad! I am also super grateful that he has been able to go to sleep so well--miracle!!! Now he is talking more and we get to fully enjoy his beautiful smile and handsome face all the time! :)

2 comments:
I keep wondering when we should take Jason's away because he is growing more and more attached to it.
sorry sucker! hahahaha. kids are so funny. i love you lis! glad he let it go pretty easily without to much of a fight :)
Post a Comment