Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mutti

Today is my mom's mom's birthday. We always called her "Mutti," which is German for "mother." I think she thought "Grandma" sounded too old. After all, she never aged a day over 27, much to the confusion of all the grandchildren.

I just wanted to tell her Happy Birthday and thank-you. She is always watching out for us, and we were shown again how close she really is just this past weekend. My ward gave me a baby shower on Saturday and my mom was able to come out for it. I have been pestering her for months about my blessing dress, as I have always wanted my first girl to also be blessed in it. My parents have been dying that they haven't been able to find it. Finally, on Friday night, my dad found a little treasure box of mine that had just what we were looking for. The only problem was that there were two blessing dresses inside--one made by a friend and one by Mutti, and my mom couldn't remember which was which. Then we had a true tender mercy from this wonderful woman. My mom noticed a small letter in the all-too-familiar type that Mutti always used. She had written me a letter for my blessing day, describing in detail the dress that she had made for the occasion. She told me how much she loved me and how wonderful it was for her to get to be the first in our family to hold me. What a blessing! Not only did Mutti tell us exactly which dress she had lovingly made for me, but she also reached out to my mother and me with a huge reminder of her love for us and our special relationship with her. I love Mutti so much, and I know she is working hard on the other side, helping to teach people about the true gospel and how they can be with their families forever, just as we are working on this side to be worthy of that wonderful promise.

1 comment:

Barbaloot said...

Your mom told me about that when she was down here. How sweet.
When's your baby getting here?